Sunday, May 20, 2012

Wish or If only





Sam An Teng


1. Wish / if only + would + infinitive

It is used to show complaints about a situation; the speaker also expects a change in the future.
For examples,
  • I wish you wouldn't arrive so late all the time. [You usually come late.]
  • I wish you wouldn’t drive so fast.[Drinking so much was not good, but you did drink.]
2. Wish / if only + past simple


It is used to show a state that a speaker is not satisfied with something presently and she wants to change it. For examples,
  • I wish the room were colder. [The room is hot.]
  • If only I was not fat, I would buy these clothes. [You are fat. The clothes do not fit you.]
3. Wish / if only + past perfect simple

It is used to express regret about past actions (the speaker wants to change the past). For examples,
  • I wish I hadn't drink so much. [I drank a lot then.]
  • If only I had studied hard, I would have passed the exams. [I didn't study hard, and I failed in the exams.]

NOTE: Wish + to do something = means "would like/ want"

For example,
  • I wish to finish the assignment today. = I would like /want to finish the assignment today.

No comments: