Monday, September 24, 2012

Reduced Noun Clause






Sam An Teng


In previous lessons, you have been explained how to reduce adjective clause to modifying adjective phrase (reduced adjective clause) and how to reduce adverb clause to modifying adverb phrase (reduced adverb clause). It is possible that we can reduce noun clause.
Normally it is possible to reduce noun clauses embedded in reported speech, indirect question, or subjunctive to infinitive or gerund phrase.



Reduction methods



Method 1: Reduce to infinitive phrase

We may reduce noun clause by deleting the clause marker (subordinator) and change the verb phrase to infinitive. For examples,

 

Advice

- He advised me that I should review the lessons.
He advised me to review the lessons.

- He told
me that I should show him the passport.
He told me to show him the passport.

 


Request

- He asked me if I would pick him up.
He asked me to pick him up.

- Please inform where we will have the meeting.
Please inform us where to have the meeting.

 


Offer

- I'd like to know how I can help.
I'd like to know how to help.

- He offered that he would clean the car for me.
He offered to help clean the car for me.

 

Polite question

- I don't know what I should do.
I don't know what to do.

- She wondered how she could learn English faster.
She wondered how to learn English faster.

 

Reported speech

- He doesn't know how he should solve his problem.
He doesn't know how to solve his problem.

- He is not sure whether he should study economics or marketing.
He is not sure whether to study economics or marketing




Method 2: Reduce to gerund phrase

- I suggested that we make the decision faster.
I suggested making the decision faster.

- She acknowledged that she had taken the bribe.
She acknowledged having taken the bribe.

- She admitted that she broke the glass.
She admitted breaking the glass.

- My boss insists that we be early tomorrow.
My boss insists being early tomorrow.

The man denied that he stole the money.
The man denied stealing the money