Saturday, September 22, 2012

Past Continuous





  
Form:
  • Positive form: Subject + was/were + verb-ing (-ing form of verb)
  • Negative form: Subject + was/were + not + verb-ing
  • Question form: Was/Were + subject + verb-ing?
Usage:


Past Continuous is used to show/talk about:

a. an action happening around a specified time in the past


For examples, 

  • This time last year I was staying at the beach.
  • I was watching TV at the time you called me last night.
  • It was raining at 8:30 am yesterday.


ករណីទី ១-- យើងប្រើ past continuous ដើម្បីបង្ហាញ ឬ និយាយពីសកម្មភាព មួយដែល កំពុង​កើត​ឡើងនៅពេល (ឬជុំវិញ) ពេលវេលាមួយជាក់ លាក់នៅក្នុងអតីតកាល។ 


b. an interrupted action (i.e. an action was happening, and another past action interrupted)

For examples, 

  • When she was cooking, her baby woke up and cried.
  • I bumped into him while I was walking across the road. 
  • While I was doing homework, the phone rang.

ករណីទី ២-- យើងប្រើ past continuous ដើម្បីបង្ហាញ ឬ និយាយអំពីសកម្មភាព មួយដែល កំពុង​តែ​កើតឡើងក្នុងអតីតកាល (past continuous) ហើយ​មានសកម្មភាពមួយទៀត (past simple) កើត​ឡើង​នៅចន្លោះ សកម្មភាពទីមួយ។​

c. a parallel of past actions (Two/more actions happening at the same time in the past.)

For examples, 

  • While the teacher was explaining, some students were chatting.
  • They were playing in the garden while I was working in my study.
  • She was singing while the guests were eating. 

ករណីទី ៣-- យើងប្រើ past continuous ដើម្បីបង្ហាញ ឬ និយាយអំពីសកម្មភាព ពីរ ឬ​ច្រើន​ដែល​កំពុងតែកើតឡើងពេលដំណាលគ្នា នៅក្នុងអតីតកាល។

d. complaints or annoyance (about someone’s past habit or a past situation): always, constantly
 

For examples, 
  • My dog was always barking while I was sleeping.  
  • My boss was always asking me to do extra work that was his own business.
  • David was constantly chatting in working hour.

ករណីទី ៤-- យើងប្រើ past continuous ជាមួយ always / constantly ដើម្បី បង្ហាញ ពីការមិនចូល ចិត្ត ការរិះគន់ ឬការខឹងសម្បារ ចំពោះស្ថានភាព ឬ​ទម្លាប់របស់នរណា ម្នាក់ ពី អតីតកាល។