Thursday, February 25, 2016

Split Infinitives

Split infinitive is one of the modifier errors which occurs when a modifier is placed between the infinitive (between 'to' and 'verb'). The modifier modifies either a preceding word or the word after it. Split infinitive used to be considered an error, but now it is becoming more acceptable even in formal writing. Cautious writers avoid splitting the infinitives or placing long disruptive modifiers between 'to' and 'verb'. Look at the examples.
  • Split infinitive: She asked me to carefully drive home.
  • Revised: She asked me to drive home carefully.

  • Split infinitive: I want to never practice the violin again.
  • Revised: I never want to practice the violin again.

We fix split infinitives by relocating the modifier which stands between 'to' and 'verb'. See more examples.
  • Split infinitive: My mother told me to never lie.
  • Revised: My mother told me never to lie.

  • Split infinitive: She intended to quickly leave a message.
  • Revised: She intended to leave a message quickly.

No comments: